Release Date: July 1, 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Reviewed by: Amber R.
- Persistent women are some of my favorite. And Gillian doesn't disappoint. After her husband passes away, she takes her life in her own hands. She's self sufficient and reliant on herself. Gilly is secure in her lot in life and now that her abusive husband has died she's ready to get on with it.
- With Gilly we get an amazing counterpart in Christian, the Duke of Mercia. Christian was a prisoner of war and the torture he faced at the hands of the French would have broken and killed a lesser man. But Christian survived, granted not the same man he used to be.
- Gilly and Christian have a good chemistry. Christian was married to her cousin who passed away. And while Christian was with the French, she was spending time with his daughter. Once Christian is released, Gilly helps him come back into his own and really become a better man than he was before he was captured.
- There is some conflict, which I really like. For some reason it's not a good romance for me unless someone is pushing the other away at first.
- And things are hot between Christian and Gilly once they come together. The tension leading up to that?? Fantastic.
Overall I was really loving this book. I'm going to check out more of the Captive Hearts series when they start coming out. This is the first book I've read by Burrowes and I will be checking out more as soon as I can.