Publication Date: November 2009
Publisher: Orbit Books
Reviewer: Amber I.
Living in small town Rockabill, Maine, Jane True always knew she didn't quite fit in with so-called normal society. During her nightly, clandestine swim in the freezing winter ocean, a grisly find leads Jane to startling revelations about her heritage: she is only half-human.
Now, Jane must enter a world filled with supernatural creatures alternatively terrifying, beautiful, and deadly- all of which perfectly describe her new "friend," Ryu, a gorgeous and powerful vampire.
It is a world where nothing can be taken for granted: a dog can heal with a lick; spirits bag your groceries; and whatever you do, never-ever rub the genie's lamp.
Another amazing read recommended to me from Jennifer at The Book Nympho. She recommended this book and instead of reading what it was about I saw the cover and decided I was going to give it a go just off of that. And when I got to the pages inside this amazing cover I was hooked! I loved this book. I read it in one day. I loved the romance, the new world (its very unique), the sarcasm (seriously these characters are funny) and just the overall story. I am thinking this is more a 5 star then a 4 star now that I am thinking about it more There is really nothing I didn't like. Well maybe the set up for the possible love triangle. I know its coming, I can tell and I hate love triangles.
I won't get into the abouts of this book because its been out for a while and I am sure you can find that anywhere. So I will just tell you what I liked about it.
- Jane is just a bubble of mystery. We know something horrible happened in the past but we don't get the full of it until later.
- She is an outcast in this little town and its so sad. Kinda like the underdog that I just have to see win.
- The murder mystery kept me guessing. It was never an obvious solving.
- The humor. Jane is hilarious, Ryu is hilarious and I just loved that!!
- The sex! It was freaking HOT!
- This whole unique world. You get a little of everything and I loved how the author pulled it all together.
- I loved Jane's self talks. Her arguments with her logic and libido are hilarious. I mean it this girl is so funny! I love her.
- I just don't want to give all of it away so go read it!!
This book has definitely got me wanting the next books asap. Its not that it leaves off on a cliffhanger its just that I am dying for more from this world. I am in love with this series now. I hope all the books get to me like this one has. If you are looking for something new and exciting, I am totally recommending Tempest Rising!
Because I just loved this quote in the book (along with a million others) I had to share it.
"Regulators, mount up," I muttered, channeling Warren G to fortify myself for our entrance into Rockabill Society.
I can't help it I had to highlight that once I saw it, I am a total 90s girl....
Series Reading Order:
Aren't these covers amazing?? I must own them.