- Today's Reader Behind the Author is
- Ashley Lynn Willis author of The Calling
- First Lets get to know a little about Ashley and The Calling
Click here to read the first chapter of The Calling.
- Where do you get your books from, buy them (where from), library, or somewhere else?
- Before owning a Kindle, I read an average of three books a year. I know, that’s just sad. The good news is that I have been reformed since receiving a Kindle for my birthday in April. I now read at least a book a week, sometimes as many as three if I find a good series. Obviously, they all come from my new favorite retailer… Amazon.
- What is the last book you read that you totally fell in love with?
- Amanda Stevens, The Restorer (The Graveyard Queen Book 1). Let’s just say, I’m counting down the days until the second book in her series releases on April 12th 2012. If you love brooding southern men, great mysteries and creepy graveyard settings, you’ll love this series.
- If you could meet an author alive or dead who would it be and what would you say?
- Anne Rice. I imagine the only place I’d ever meet her would be at a book signing and the conversation would go something like this.
- Me: I love you!!!! *Then nothing, because I’m starting to cry.*
- Anne Rice: Honey, you need to calm down.
- Me: * Hysterical sobbing.*
- Anne Rice: Can someone get this crazy lady a Kleenex?
- Me: *More incoherent blubbering.*
- Anne Rice: *Rolls her eyes and waits for the security to escort me away.*
- Me: *Tries to stifle my sniffles as I’m led from the bookstore by an annoyed looking security guard.
- It’s not pretty, but in my mind, that’s exactly how it’d play out. I worship that woman.
- If you could go on a girls night out with any 5 book characters who would you pick and why?
- Annawyl the Bloody from Book 1 of the Dragon Kin Series by G.A. Aiken – because she can kick anyone’s ass. That’d come in useful if we were ambushed by a bunch of drunk, smelly men who wanted to dance.
- Bella Swan from Twilight by Stephanie Meyer—because she smells so good to vamps. Maybe she could help us score a few fanged hotties.
- Catherine Crawfield from Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost—because if we don’t like the vamps that Bella attracts, she could off them.
- Sookie Stackhouse—because I love her. (She’s my fantasy BFF. J)
- The last lady is a tossup between Izzy from the Dragon Kin Series –because she’s always so bubbly and the life of the party or Samantha Moon from J.R. Rain’s Vampire for Hire series—because she’s got a dry wit to her that I’d love to witness in action.
- You have no books at all to read and you really want to read, what book are you going to grab from your stash and do a reread?
- Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood series)—Zsadist and Bella’s story. I was not a huge fan of this series until I read their book. Every day after, I’ve been obsessed with the Brotherhood. There is just something that makes me swoon when it comes to a tortured soul brought back to life by a woman who loves him unconditionally. Ahhh, so beautiful. If you haven’t read Father Mine, a novella about the couple, it’s a great continuation of their story.
- What is the first book you fell in love with?
- The Mummy by Anne Rice. In 2009, I wrote my first novel, Killing Abel. I had no idea how much The Mummy influenced my main character, Abel, until I read it again a few months ago. (It had been almost twenty years since the first time I’d read it) There were many, many similarities between my hero and Ramses, both physically and in personality. On a subconscious level, Ramses stayed with me all those years, manifesting himself in my first book. If that’s not true love for a character, I don’t know what is.
- A book that made you cry?
- Oh, you all are going to totally laugh at me, but I cried at the end of Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton. *Spoilers* When Anita Blake had to rebury Phillip, I bawled like a baby. That was a very well written scene. I also cried while reading the The Hunger Games when one of the contestants, who shares her name with a certain Winnie the Pooh kangaroo friend (though spelled differently), died during the games. I bawled for an hour and couldn’t keep reading. I didn’t pick the book back up until the next day. It makes me teary just thinking about it.
- What book are you currently reading?
- One foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost. I started it a week ago, and it’s a fabulous book, but since I’m releasing my own book soon, I’ve been too busy to finish it. Being an author is seriously cutting into my reading time. LOL. But it’s worth it. I love inventing crazy worlds and the characters to fill them.
- If you could trade places for the day with any book character who would you pick?
- Catherine Crawfield in Halfway to the Grave. *Spoiler* That love scene between Bones and Cat was hot!
- Favorite book cover?
- Spiderwork by LK Rigel.
- This and That
- Favorite Social Network? (twitter, facebook ETC) Facebook
- Favorite Animal? River Otter
- Favorite TV Show? Ace of Cakes.
- Favorite Color? Periwinkle
- Favorite Movie? Stardust
- Favorite Food? Does wine count?
- Day or Night? Day
- Summer or Winter? Summer
- Thanks so much Ashley for the Awesome Interview! To find out more about Ashley and her books check out the links below!
Facebook Author Site: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100002829151062
The Calling Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Calling/121064727991603
**Reader Behind the Author is a Weekly Feature @ AwesomeSauce Book Club. Its posted every Wednesday. Take a look at AwesomeSauce Features at the top to see some of the past authors who have been featured. Comments on this feature are greatly appreciated!! And every comment enters you to win a $10 Gift Card!**