Today's AwesomeSauce Reader Behind the Author is
What is the last book you purchased?
- Invincible Summer, by Hannah Moskowitz.
What was the first book you remember reading and totally falling in love with?
- D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, but as far as novels go, I think The Babysitters' Club was one of the first series I read.
Were you always a reader?
- Always. I learned how to read very young, and I used to sit in the hallway where our bookcase was, reading the many picture books my parents kept on the bottom shelves.
What book are you currently reading?
- An ARC of Starcrossed, by Josephine Angelini. I'm about three-quarters of the way through and loving it.
If you could meet an author alive or dead who would you pick?
- JK Rowling, without a doubt. The Harry Potter series is the reason I started to take writing seriously.
How many books do you think you read in a year?
- I read maybe two books a month on average. Sometimes more, sometimes less, and I have a tendency to reread my favorites often as well. I'm not a fast reader at all, but I make up for it with reading comprehension.
What are some of your favorite books in the genre you write?
- YA? Oh man. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. The Harry Potter series, of course, by JK Rowling. Lately I've read and absolutely loved Beth Revis' Across the Universe and Lauren DeStefano's Wither.
If you could save one person from dying in a book who would you pick?
- Just one? Can I cheat and go with two? Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks, from Harry Potter. I was completely destroyed when they died. Total mess for days.
Favorite book couple?
- See above. :) I don't typically read books for the romance though.
If your best friend asked you to recommend a book, what would you pick for them?
- It would depend on what they'd read, but when asked for recommendations from casual readers, I always start with Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. Then I go to Ender's Game, then depending on their favorite genre, I have a host of other authors I recommend, including Anne Bishop and Audrey Niffenegger, neither of whom write for YA. I also highly recommend The 39 Clues series, which is middle grade.
If someone who was not a reader asked you to recommend a book to get the hooked what would you pick?
- The Hunger Games or Harry Potter, for sure.
Your bookshelf is on fire you can only save what you can carry what do you save?
- The Harry Potter series. Geek alert - I own 31 different editions of the Harry Potter books, and they take up two shelves. Some are in French, some German, some the original UK versions, a full set of paperbacks, a full set of hardcovers, both versions of Beedle the Bard, etc. If I could only save one of those, it would be my battered and much-loved paperback copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
A book that made you cry
- Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins.
Hard cover or paperback
Short Answer Questions
Short Answer Questions
- Paperback. Hard covers look nice, but paperbacks are so much easier to carry around, and I carry my books everywhere.
Book or some form of e reader
- Book, though I get why e-readers are so popular. They're convenient.
Books stored on bookshelf or wherever there is room
- I stored them on my bookshelves until I ran out of room. Now I'm trying to make space for a third bookcase, and in the meantime, they get stacked everywhere.
Check out Aimee Carter and me doing a TOP THAT interview
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
Thanks so much Aimee for taking the time to do this!! I love that you own that many Harry Potter books. I would so be in heaven!!
Aimee is super sweet and awesome so make sure you check her out!!